setting up USER defined SFZ'z

Post your sforzando questions here

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv

willard_landreth

setting up USER defined SFZ'z

Postby willard_landreth » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:45 pm

I feel like a dolt. I've asked before and apparently achieved results serendipitously since I've been unable to replicate the results. I tried yesterday ( for the first time in over a year) to add a few more SFZ's and lost ALL my user files. Now, when I try to reload them, I can get only one file to appear, not like the list I had before. The files are still available but don't appear in the drop-down list. Before I had:
User>Harps>Gothic Harp>
Chromatic Harp>
User>Strings>
User>Woodwinds>
etc.

Now it shows
User>
Gothic harps sf2> 000_Gothic Harp. When I try to add another it replaces the previous entry with the new entry.

What is the difference between user file path and converted file path? Do both paths need to be "set" in order to place the files correctly?

Does the save take place automatically?

I'm not sure if the fact they're already 'converted' makes a difference.

All of the GPO, JABB, Per. Orch 5, Dim Pro appear and are not affected.

I want my User files to be placed in C:\soundfonts\User

Thanks,
Willard

eric_telemaque

Re: setting up USER defined SFZ'z

Postby eric_telemaque » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:42 am

Hi Willard, sorry for the delay.

willard_landreth wrote:What is the difference between user file path and converted file path? Do both paths need to be "set" in order to place the files correctly?

Does the save take place automatically?

I'm not sure if the fact they're already 'converted' makes a difference.

I want my User files to be placed in C:\soundfonts\User

The Converted path is where the conversion takes place. When imported, sf2 files get transformed to the sfz format in that folder and the saving of that sf2 conversion takes place automatically.
No sf2 file is ever played by sforzando, only the sfz resulting from that conversion. Those (along with the samples) can be moved to your User folder if you want to.

If you want your user files to be placed in C:\soundfonts\User , get your sfz and samples to that folder and set that path in sforzando with the Set button.

Let me know if that's clear. My inner French ->English translator feels dodgy this morning ;)
Éric Patenaude,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

kinwie

Postby kinwie » Thu May 18, 2017 5:41 am

Hi Eric, I have a question.

Most of the time, when my computer first on, the first sforzando launching either the standalone or from my Pro Tools session always take 10 to 20 seconds. I didn't have this problem when my User folder was small. So I suspect it has something to do with the size of User folder, Am I right?

Is the samples size or the numbers of sfz file count that slowing the launch process?
Just an info, my Analogue Drums folder alone is 30 GB. And my whole User folder size is about 50GB

If yes, why not make a cache file for User folder so it no need to scan everytime on first launch?

eric_telemaque

Postby eric_telemaque » Thu May 18, 2017 8:40 am

kinwie wrote:Hi Eric, I have a question.

Most of the time, when my computer first on, the first sforzando launching either the standalone or from my Pro Tools session always take 10 to 20 seconds. I didn't have this problem when my User folder was small. So I suspect it has something to do with the size of User folder, Am I right?

Is the samples size or the numbers of sfz file count that slowing the launch process?
Just an info, my Analogue Drums folder alone is 30 GB. And my whole User folder size is about 50GB

If yes, why not make a cache file for User folder so it no need to scan everytime on first launch?

You're absolutely right. It scans the whole User folder.

Improvements on that front is part of the to-do list, obviously.
Éric Patenaude,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

kinwie

Postby kinwie » Sun May 21, 2017 4:54 am

eric_telemaque wrote:You're absolutely right. It scans the whole User folder.

Improvements on that front is part of the to-do list, obviously.

Thanks for that!

Return to “sforzando”